Investigating the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum
In the heart of Appalachia tucked away on 666 acres in Weston, WV sits the infamous Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum, a long-standing and emptied psychiatric hospital, whose haunted history has spanned generations, Built between 1858 and 1881, the location played witness to the Civil War, and after years of overcrowding and neglect, it stands tall as one of the most haunted locations in the state and a National Historic Landmark.
Recently, I had a chance to visit and invistigate this storied location to see if I could find evidence of any of the reported haultings inside this massive complex.
The asylum officially closed in 1994 and now sits in varying states of repair, with parts of the main complex restored to it's original glory. Run by a group of volunteers, the location hosts multiple tours and events throughout the year, and luckily for me, I had the opportunity to be locked inside for four hours in the evening.
The Trans-Allegheny Asylum haunting is not a single incidence, instead it refers to a collection of reported paranormal events sparked by the grim legacy that makes up the fabric of psychiatric institution. From the dark days of the Civil War to modern tales of lobotomies, the energy inside the building is heavy.
While there were some creepy moments with strange noises and cold spots, my main tool, my EMF detector did go off in numerous spots within the asylum, most noticiably near the Civil Ward Wing. While it is hard to makeout, I did capture what appears to be shadow figure at the end of one of the hallways, but it's impossible to determine for sure if that is an actual apparition.
Due to the weather, I was unable to visit or tour the on-grounds cemetery, but that will be done at some point in the future when I make another trip to see the decaying structure, and help document the unknown.



Comments
Post a Comment